During this difficult time we are ALL dealing with the uncertainty of Corona Virus. Stores are either having a hard time keeping up with the demand of basic supplies like toilet paper and hand sanitizer. Some stores are no longer carrying the product at all. In times such as these we can take comfort in knowing that nature and some tips from our past can always provide an alternative solution for our basic needs. With a little planning and a moment of your time you can create a healthy and fantastic smelling sanitizer for your hands and your household.
If you were to think back to years past many of our ancestors did not have the luxury of running out to the store to purchase a pre-made hand sanitizer that kills “99.9” percent of germs on contact. What they did have access to and used without second thought were earth’s natural herbs. According to The U.S. National Library of Medicine National Institute of Health, herbs and fruits in your garden such as lemon, grapefruit, rosemary, and peppermint are stronger and more effective of killing bacteria than the commercial cleaners you find in the grocery store. This can be a simple and more effective way to sanitize your home from the spread of common colds and infections.
As our last bit of hand sanitizer came to an end, my girls and I were super excited to create our first batch of all natural hand sanitizer. Depending on where you live the growing season may not yet have arrived. You can simply go to an all natural market and pick up your herbs where you would buy your raw vegetables or purchase food grade pure essential oils. We decided to choose the following fruits and herbs due to their antimicrobial makeup.
Peppermint: antibacterial and antiviral
Tea Tree: enhances immunity, antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal
Aloe Vera: natural hand shoother
Other great antibacterial and antiviral herbs: eucalyptus, lavender, orange, tea tree
Here is a video of our recipe and the recipe is below:
Hand sanitizer recipe
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup of isopropyl or 99% rubbing alcohol or Vodka. Rubbing alcohol seemed to be flying off the shelf for now, so another alternative is Vodka or Gin. Make sure that the Vodka is 80 proof or higher and over 40% alcohol.
- 1/4 cup of aloe vera gel. Aloe vera gel keeps your hands smooth and helps to counteract the harshness of alcohol). We scraped two to three 2 inch leaves from our aloe vera plant at home of its gel.
- 10 drops of lemon juice
- 10 drops of grapefruit juice
- Fill bottle with sprigs of rosemary and peppermint. You can also use a few drops of PURE essential oils.
- Pour all ingredients into a bowl or a measuring like cup with a spout.
- Mix with a spoon and then beat with a whisk to turn the sanitizer into a gel.
- Pour the ingredients into small plastic bottles with sprayer on top and shake.
- Spray on hands or anywhere in your home that could use some sanitizing (i.e. doorknobs, counter tops, refrigerator handles, etc.
According to UNICEF here are some important facts on Corona Virus:
- Corona Virus will live 12 hours on a metal surface.
- Corona Virus remains on fabric for 9 hours.
- Corona Virus lives on the Hands for 10 minutes.
I would love to hear how your sanitizer turned out. Enjoy!
Here are the essential oils we used to make the hand sanitizer
During the Coronavirus state of emergency we are having delicious meals delivered and prepared at home.
We are gifting you some FREE Food here
We love to read but will be also listening to audio books while school is closed. You can as well here.